Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 1 (for the manyth time)

So. I'm back.

Not technically Day 1 of this period but a Day 1 of starting my Squat Every Day workouts. Been reading some advice from Coach John Broz, who trained with none other than Antonio Krastev, a Bulgarian Olympic Weightlifting champion who pulled 216kg in the Snatch. This record still stands (but is not currently recognized as the weight classes got reshuffled). Anyway, having read into how Coach Broz trains his lifters, I thought that I, too, could benefit from his Bulgarian-influenced training regime. He explains a number of reasons that training every day is beneficial in many ways. I, personally, am quite convinced that I will respond to this type of training well. The students of Broz' workout twice a day, six days a week, and once on Sundays. This is a total of thirteen workouts a week but I think a more lenient number would just be to say ten to fourteen times. This is definitely a huge number of workouts, and one would normally think that is extreme, especially with all the Personal Trainer's blabbing about overtraining (and form..and hypertrophy..lol) but I'm sold. Or gullible. No, seriously, John also said something very insightful: "Research, do what flows with your logic the most, and stick to it. The best thing you can do is get a good coach and fully and blindly follow him." I completely agree with his logic and his claims - though I didn't bother to do the research bit. I think I know enough anyway, to keep my work efficient. Anyway, the basic workout schedule for the Average Broz student might be to do the Olympic lifts up to specific weights in the morning, followed by some higher-rep squats. In the late afternoon session his lifters will go for single-rep maxes (SRM) in the snatch and clean and jerk, then perform doubles based upon those results, and then finish with squats, also in SRM style.

My goal will be to eventually build up to seven days a week of SRM squatting. It will be the first exercise of every workout (unless it's Olympic day), and if there are rest days then I will just come in and just do squats.

I hope to improve my current max of 110 Back Squat (BS), to at least 140 for reps. Same with the Front Squat (FS) but I'm not too fussed about the weights on that, just doing them once a week, and decent numbers in the FS I will be happy with. I hope to do some fast deadlifts also mixed in once a week, just explosive triples of around 80%. I can feel when my form begins to break down so I'll have to just work with whatever weight that is (around 80-90 I start struggling).

If I ever want to, I might start doing the Lifts again, however, they take extreme time and patience and it's not so encouraging when I walk away with nothing (noticeably) improved.

Anyway enough chit-chat. See you all soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Is it just me or am I not allowed to edit my post? Good Lord, I swear there is no edit button. Whatever, good enough. I just wanted to add that I will post my workout another day.

    ReplyDelete